Blog Post 5: Changes to my study program

In my case, I graduated from university seven years ago, I studied physical anthropology in Universidad de Concepcion, and actually, I studied archaeology in Universidad de Chile, that’s why I will give my opinion based on my experience in both universities. However, according to me, the study program of own this university is very completed and updated.

About the curriculum, anthropology has changed a lot in these years, the principal change is the increase in interest in applied anthropology, and own study program is more focused to in this topic too, but I think that in archaeology is needed more subjects about applied archeology like environmental impact, forensic archeology, etc. Secondly, I think that in archaeology is needed to focus more in laboratory analysis in subjects like archaeobotany, zooarchaeology, pottery or lithics, with specialized laboratories about these subjects, because archaeology is increasingly its interest in this analysis, moreover, is needed more field work courses. Thirdly, the university should focus to current approaches like historical archaeology, because this is an understudied and emerging area of study in Chile, moreover, I think that own study program should be related to other disciplines and departments like biology, architecture, history or geology.

About workload, I think that sometimes we can’t take full advantage of the subjects because workload is too, and some subjects should be prioritized over others. About length, this is related to workload, because a heavy workload causes the career to last longer than expected. In my opinion, the main current flaw in the faculty is lack of dining areas, and about de laboratories, faculty need to more laboratories about subjects previously mentioned and associated technology like magnifying glasses, microscopes, etc. Despite these flaws, the study program is adequate for the current situation of anthropology and updates quickly. 

 


 

Comentarios

  1. I think it would be very interesting and important for professional development that the program of studies is related to other disciplines and departments such as biology, architecture, history or geology; because when we go out to work we will relate with people from these areas. I also believe that in anthropology it is very necessary to have a broad vision of all the subjects

    ResponderEliminar
  2. It's true, I entered the career with a little interest in the mention of archaeology, but as the university has shown us it has disappointed me, I feel that there is a lack of more content on archeology.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. It is very good your opinion having your experience studying anthropology and archaeology. The field work is fundamental and the methodological courses need to be improved.

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares de este blog

Blog Post 2: The Best Concert Ever

Blog Post 1: A country you would like to visit

Blog Post 4: Time travel to the past or future